A mid-summer bounty of sweet, jammy blackberries, earthy sage, and bright tart lemons… this Liquid Art lab Elixir is the perfect porch pounder.
Raw kombucha, Blackberries, Apples, Lemons, Sage, Yeast
Boochcraft’s blackberry sage is a hard kombucha, meaning it’s an alcoholic beverage with some of the health benefits of regular kombucha! If you’re looking to have a fun night, but still want some health benefits from your drink of choice, then this is a good option to consider.
I found this can near the craft beer section at my local Whole Foods and purchased it for $5.99.
First, I have to note the beautiful artwork on the can done by Andrew McGranahan (@andrew_mcgranahan). To be honest, the artwork sold me right away, it popped out amongst the usual white, gold, and silver plain can designs.
If you’ve never had kombucha before, kombucha has a natural vinegar type of smell. Some people don’t mind it, while others can’t stand it. Second to the vinegar, you smell the sweetness of the blackberry which compliments the tartness of the kombucha.
The flavor reminds me of a light version of a sour beer. It’s the signature tartness of kombucha except gentler. The blackberry flavor is jammy instead of fresh. The sage is very subtle.
This hard kombucha was lightly fizzy, very faint. Although the kombucha flavor is gentle you still get the acidic mouthfeel that accompanies traditional kombucha.
This hard kombucha was too easy to drink! I really enjoyed the flavor but wished the sage was more pronounced (just because I personally love strong herby flavors). It gave me a nice buzz that lasted throughout the night and no hangover! I am a lightweight so one of these cans was more than enough to have a good time without feeling extremely guilty about mistreating your body. I just wish it wasn’t so easy to drink! It’s not boozy, so you can easily drink this as you would with a regular kombucha.
What is Kombucha?
Kombucha is a fermented tea, usually made with black or green tea. Kombucha has been brewed for nearly 2,000 years. It originated in China and then spread to Japan and Russia. Kombucha is said to be a probiotic drink with many health benefits.
What is Hard Kombucha?
Hard kombucha is just regular kombucha that has been fermented longer to produce it into an alcoholic beverage.
Benefits of Hard Kombucha
Because hard kombucha is an alcoholic beverage, it’s hard to determine the exact health benefits that it has to offer. However, here are some of the health benefits hard kombucha may be able to offer you:
- It’s gut-friendly; because this beverage is fermented and minimally processed, it could be a gut friendly choice for those who are sensitive to regular alcohol.
- It contains beneficial polyphenols and acids like lactic acid, acetic acid, glucuronic acid, and butyric acid.
- Kombucha is brewed with traditionally wholesome ingredients like black or green tea and bacteria and yeast, which provides a variety of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants.
- Traditional cocktails are full of added sugars which as we know isn’t the best for us. Hard kombucha has a relatively low added sugar content depending on the brand and the amount of sugar the brand adds to their beverages.
- It’s naturally gluten free; this is a big plus if you’re gluten intolerant or sensitive. I’m gluten sensitive and was able to avoid the dreaded bloating that I usually get when I have a beer.
Prefer quicker reviews? Check out the TWB Instagram, where I post tea recipes videos and reviews, @teawithbinx_